Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Getting Your Kids into the Hobby

I didn't get much hobbying done in the last couple of weeks but once more realized how much I love the miniatures gaming hobby.

My 3-year-old is a real nosy-parker when I'm painting miniatures and usually riddles me with questions if she catches me in the act. Her curiosity was the perfect excuse to visit Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland ("Miniature Wonderland", the world's largest model railroad layout) with the family.
Just as I hoped, 1.499m² of miniature landscape didn't just inspire my future projects but left its mark on my daughter.

Having confirmed that she actually likes miniatures, we wasted no time, picked some "knights" from our local Games Workshop and went to work. Following her orders we primed the miniatures green and red and then she went on painting all the details with colours of her choice. Once she had practiced some drybrushing we washed the entire miniatures with Agrax Earthshade. The little one was super excited and did a tremendous job here. We painted the miniatures in two one-hour sessions and she stayed focussed all the time and really seemed to enjoy this experience.


So, this is her final result and I really love it. Proud father speaking here, so these might actually be far worse than I think they are but I was seriously surprised at how commited she was to paint these well. Although Age of Sigmar hasn't been on my radar so far, I might have to look into it now. The rules are free and Jamuary and February White Dwarfs just feaured an AoS Skirmish campaign that might be exactly the right scenario for future gaming sessions. I'll keep you updated.

.

2 comments:

  1. So I just had to leave a comment. I was surfing google images just looking at cool minis and paint schemes and happened upon the image of your daughters 3 figures. I was so intrigued by the differant colors that I clicked the link and found your blog. I was blown away to read that those figures were painted by a 3 year old, what an amazing painter, they are fantastic! I have been really into Warhammer Underwolrds and just picked up the Nightvault box set. I have been looking for color scheme ideas for the Thorns of the Biar Queen warband and absolutly love the mismatch calico effect that her figures have, it gives them a really cool ethereal look that I would love to try to emulate with my night haunt spookie dudes. I ended up reading most of your resent posts and have enjoyed seeing your work, especially the Warhammer Fantasy and AoS stuff, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! It's great if people take inspiration from your (or your kid's^^) work. I just got my hands on the Nightvault box as well. I'm really, really impressed how great GW plastic miniatures have become recently. Getting back into GW systems and enjoying these minis has kinda rekindled my love for the hobby. I hope Icankeep the flame alive for some time...^^

      Delete