Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Orc-Host is Ambushed in Brethil

I just foraged my favourite Tolkien artists for inspiration and found this beautiful painting by Ted Nasmith:

The Orc-Host is Ambushed in Brethil

I love the scene and the great design of the First Age armament, but I'm still not sure which faction the attackers belong to... Are they men of the House of Haleth, who live in the Forests of Brethil? I never pictured them as that highly developed. Or is it possible that the picture shows an Elvish force? Sindar Elves from Doriath maybe?

Does anybody of you know what Ted Nasmith wanted to display? I searched the web for information on this picture but did'nt find anything?

2 comments:

  1. The image displays Sindarian Elves of Doriath, sent by Thingol, to help Halmir and the Men of Brethil hold the Pass of Sirion after Sauron took over Minis Tirith in the Dagor Bragollach.

    You can read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halmir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. I thought as much, but wasn't certain.

    ReplyDelete