Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pimp My Cardboard Building - Part II

The farm-house is next:

Again I started with the wooden parts. I cut some balsa stripes with 3mm thickness and remodelled the framework printed on the building. Of cours you could do this technique with evey other skeletal structure as well, but the printed surface of the cardboard helped me as a beginner to get used to the sizes and measures.
 The half timbered work was filled with Efaplast Light, an air drying modelling clay. You dont ncessarily need to use the light version. Classic or Terracotta would probably work as well, but this is what I normally use for basing my miniatures, so I had it at hand.

 Next I had to get rid of the chimney. I didn't like the position and wanted it to bit a bit smaller. I rolled out some of the Efaplast and let it become touch dry. I cut some bricks from this and masoned a new chimney from that. Wasn't even as hard as I thought. Maybe I'll try this method with castle walls some day...

 Last step: The roof was done with paperboard shingles.
 And done... Never thought terrain building could be that easy... Maybe the most anoing part is the roof, because it takes centuries to affix every single shingle, but I like the scattered look of it and that's probably worth it.


3 comments:

  1. hey, that looks good. Your roof turned out quite nice, I built a Western Saloon recently and my roof looks as if it was tiled by gardeners^^
    I'll definitely try this technique for some complex medieval English cottages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. The roof was the most tricky part of the building. On the one hand I went for the scattered look but on the other hand this look turned out to look crappy if I overdid it.
    The tiles should vary in size and position, but only some few milimetres. Furthermore you may have chosen the size of the tiles to big. It's a good deal of work if you make the tiles smaller, but it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Yayap said. You've created a work of art befitting of a craftsman-slash-construction worker-slash-architect. Those paper shingles were made with precision and detail. It must have taken you a long time to finish that. *Sighs in awe*

    ReplyDelete