Thursday, July 28, 2011

Great Source of Inspiration

I have a soft spot for George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire since he released his 5th book A Dance with Dragons and HBO aired the first season of A Game of Thrones. At the moment I search for fitting miniatures to paint some of the characters of the books and will presumably be using the GRRM-Masterworks range of Dark Sword Miniatures or converted War of the Roses/Hundred Years' War miniatures from Perry Miniatures.

In search of inspiration I found the books The Art of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. These books (two volumes up to now) contain illustrations from Fantasy Flight Games' various board and card games.

Whereas I was a bit disappointed by the first volume since most artists did not meet my expectations of late medieval Westeros, the second volume was much better. Especially the double paged artworks of Tomasz Jedruszek belong to the best depictions of Martin's universe I have seen up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment